Certification for welding inspector
During the fabrication process of equipment, we often encounter the welding process. Welding inspector officers have the duty to maintain welding quality. This QA / QC process starts from weld preparation, weld process and after welding. The welding inspector has several kinds of certifications. For Europe, we are familiar with welding inspectors CSWIP 3.0 and CSWIP 3.1. In November 2019, I took part in the training and examination of the CSWIP 3.0 Welding Inspector certification in addition to my previous competence, which was a certified welding engineer. The CSWIP 3.0 Visual Welding Inspector course is designed for welders, operators, line inspectors, and foremen who carry out the visual examination of welded joints. It is also suitable for welding quality control staff and anyone who needs basic training in welding inspection alongside a qualification. Construction engineers also need to understand welding inspection.
CSWIP 3.0 Training duration
The training lasts for 3 days. 2 days are used to study the types of welding defects, limits and acceptance criteria, and practice questions. then 1 day is used for the test. The exam only lasts for 2 hours. The participants worked on 20 questions about welding on plates (butt weld) and 14 questions on welding plates with fillet weld types. The minimum score is 70% for butt weld and 70% for fillet weld. After attending this training, the participant should be able to :
- Identify various weld imperfections (defects) that can be inspected visually
- Understand the relevant welding technology related to visual inspection for plate
- Understand the requirement for documentation/report in welding inspection
- Understand codes and standards in Europe related to inspection requirements of butt weld and fillet weld in a plate
- Carry out inspection of base materials and consumables materials (electrodes, filler wires, consumable inserts, gases, fluxes etc)
- Carry out visual inspection of welds, report on them and assess their compliance with specified acceptance criteria
- Verify weld dimensions, fit up and weld preparations are in accordance with the engineering drawings.
- Pass the CSWIP Visual Welding Inspector qualification.
How to join CSWIP 3.0 Training and examination? You can join the training in your country by contacting TWI agent. Usually, the minimum participant is 10.