what is oil and gas facilities pipeline material?
oil and gas facilities pipeline material most used is carbon steel. The API – American Petroleum Institute make a standard named Specification for Line Pipe – API 5L.
“In the preparation of this document, the technical committee maintained the concept of two basic levels of
standard technical requirements for line pipe expressed as two product specification levels (PSL 1 and
PSL 2). Level PSL 1 provides a standard quality level for line pipe. Level PSL 2 has additional mandatory
requirements for chemical composition, notch toughness and strength properties and additional NDT.
Requirements that apply to only PSL 1 or to only PSL 2 are so designated. Requirements that are not
designated to a specific PSL designation apply to both PSL 1 and PSL 2 pipe.”
in many oil and gas company, they mostly use API 5L grade B or X42 that have higher Yield strength.
The technical committee also recognized that the petroleum and natural gas industry often specifies
additional requirements for particular applications. In order to accommodate such needs, optional
additional requirements for special applications are available, as follows:
- PSL 2 pipe ordered with a qualified manufacturing procedure (Annex B), the requirements of which
have been enhanced to include verification detail of critical processes in the production of feedstock
material, line pipe manufacture and product testing and inspection;
- PSL 2 pipe ordered with resistance to ductile fracture propagation in gas pipelines (Annex G);
- PSL 2 pipe ordered for sour service (Annex H);
- Pipe ordered as “Through the Flowline” (TFL) pipe (Annex I);
- PSL 2 pipe ordered for offshore service (Annex J);
- Equations for threaded and coupled pipe and background equations for guided bend and CVN test
API 5L is the most popular standard for Oil and Gas facilities pipeline material.
after we understand oil and gas facilities pipeline material, now we can continue the next step to make a pipeline design based on ASME B31.4 for liquid hydrocarbon or ASME B31.8 for gas transportation line.