What is the CMMS best practice for scheduling?
many people asking about CMMS best practice for scheduling in Oil and Gas Company.what are the difference between planning and scheduling? Planning is a set of Planner activities to prepare a job that will be conducted by a crew in a certain location. For example, a mechanic crew will conduct a boiler feed water pump overhaul in a Power Plant.
In a planning phase, a planner will conduct some activities such as
- job assessment. is a boiler feed water pump overhaul need spare part? what are the spare parts? how many the spare part quantity? do we have the spare part in our warehouse?
- how many mechanic crew required to conduct a boiler feed water pump overhaul?
- do we need electrician crew to support the boiler feed water pump overhaul?
- do we need a heavy equipment like a crane to support the feed water pump overhaul?
CMMS best practice for scheduling
after preparing the job, we have all resource, spare part and supporting equipment for a boiler feed water pump overhaul. the next phase is scheduling activities. A planner have some jobs that ready to be scheduled. here some example:
- boiler feed water pump overhaul in a Gas Plant
- injection pump repair in a Test Station
- gas compressor inspection in Gas Plant
- surge water pump troubleshooting in a Gathering Station
- tank inspection in a Tank Farm
here the CMMS best practice for scheduling :
- make scheduling period. for example: scheduling period is 7 days or some people call it as 7day planning-scheduling
- make a job prioritization
- calculate manhours required by each job. for example: a boiler feed water pump overhaul require 10 mechanic-manhour and 2 electrician-manhour
- calculate the maximum manhours available in the specific period. for example: 60 mechanic-manhour, 45 electrician-manhour.
- make a simple excel spreadsheet to calculate man hour in each location
- make a group discussion with mechanic, electrician for the next job.
- put all the scheduled job in Crew scheduling workbench CMMS
for more information about concept of this CMMS, please see previous article.